The Landscape of Myth
A journey into the heart of Bali through Yoga and culture
September 22-29, 2018
Join Sara Hess and I in this immersive week of yoga and Balinese culture! We will dive deep into the myths and metaphors of the yoga tradition, which are themselves vibrantly embodied in the daily life on the island of Bali. We will explore local cultural sites in and around Ubud, and learn how the myths and deeper archetypes of human experience, like the hero's journey, manifest in the yoga asana practice. Daily practice is oriented towards all levels of students and is a mix of alignment focused Vinyasa, Ashtanga Vinyasa, pranayama and meditation.
Set back into the verdant rice fields our retreat center for the week will provide the perfect environment for this deep and nourishing work. You will enjoy beautifully decorated rooms, delicious vegetarian meals and excursions to some of Bali’s most colorful markets and sacred local temples. The Bali Institute, Ubud’s premiere cultural organization, will guide us on our outings to observe ancient spiritual practices and meet community leaders and dignitaries to develop a better understanding of this unique culture.
Bali holds a very special place in my and Sara's heart and we can not wait to share it with you. Join us for an unforgettable time on this world-class yoga retreat!
- Gorgeous accommodations set back in the serenity of the verdant rice paddies
- Accompaniment of expert local guides and Bali Institute for Global Renewal staff throughout the week
- Receive a blessing and option to wade into the cleansing pools of the water temple Tirta Empul
- Visit to the Ubud morning market
- Walk through some of Bali's iconic lush terraced rice fields
- Participate in a traditional Balinese fire ceremony
- Three organic meals daily
- Twice daily yoga & meditation with Matt & Sara